Friday, August 21, 2009

Rose Petal Soup



Here is a sketch done in 2004, reborn as a watercolor (and acrylic) in 2009. This celebrates the visit of a very sweet little girl who took some old roses ( I should have thrown them away before my visitors arrived...they were pretty wilted) and removed all the petals to make "rose petal soup!" I thought perhaps she had read it in a story but turns out it was her own creative recipe. I gave her a bowl and a spoon and she had a great time stirring her "soup" and feeding it to her baby doll. She played with triangular wooden blocks and dolls and whatever she could find around here. I recently enjoyed seeing her again at a mutual friend's party and it reminded me of the sketch I had done but not quite finished. So I located the drawing in one of my sketchbooks and used
watercolors and acrylics to finish it.

1 comment:

  1. This is downright gorgeous. The back story is really fun to read about and brings the entire piece to life.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!