Saturday, October 22, 2011

Color Inspires Me




A quilted art journal cover
made similar to Teesha Moore's technique~
making little 'pillows' and then sewing
them together in an
unplanned composition. 
You can see video of Teesha's
 Fabric Journal Workshop here.
As a traditional quilter, it was hard to
avoid carefully planning it all out,
especially the crazy haphazard non-matchy
stitching to connect the pillows together.
But I do like the colors and the beads
and the texture of the quilting...
Click on any image to see more detail.





The back of the cover is one piece, and I 
just started quilting with the contrasting
colors of floss in circular patterns, 
without marking the pattern ahead of time.
I will put watercolor pages inside, probably
one or two signatures with a pamphlet stitch binding.




Above, a collage in my 9" x 12" art journal.
I am trying to use up scraps I've saved. 
I generally don't use magazine images,
but the intricate scroll work in this gate
was just too good to pass up.
Acrylic on cardstock, collage & magazine images,
white gel pen on black cardstock.

Have a colorful day!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful color choices and I love the stitching you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you have put aside your fear that making an art journal cover would turn you into some kind of non-seamstress. I am also SO glad to see your unplanned and totally awesome cover. And it's always good to work with scraps in your journal. That's something I need to do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne! I love all of your beautiful stitching!

    Thank you for the comment...I've moved
    Typewrittentwentysomething.blogspot.com

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these half sewn too! ok, you are inspiring me to finish it....

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!