Friday, December 23, 2011

Medieval Fragments




Art of the Middle Ages, though it seems
primitive to us in many ways,
fascinates me in its richness of
design, pattern and symbolism.
Above, drawing done in my art journal
after a twelfth century sculpture.
(photo in Art of the Early Middle Ages 
by Souchal, 1968) 
Mary seems melancholy, but
the child Jesus looks happy to
be in his mother's arms.






Above drawing in my art journal
inspired by a stone relief called
Adoration of the Magi, Mid-twelfth century,
Church of Sainte-Croix.
I chose to draw only Mary and Jesus.
Jesus' head is missing in the photo
of the relief, so I improvised.
Regardless of the stiff pose of
the figures, it still has a charm 
all its own, and this particular relief
is "evidence of the vigorous art being
done at the time of transition from Romanesque
to the new Gothic style,"  according to the author.

Peace and Blessings to you all.


1 comment:

I really appreciate your comments. Leave me a note and Thanks for visiting!